Day 4 of operation-living-room


Day 4 of operation-living-room and I’m fed up! Above is the level of sophistication we were going for - the vision - the motivation, if you like.  Below is the reality of the situation...

I was originally told “nowt of a job that nowt of a job, be done in a week." (for those of you that are not from Yorkshire nowt=nothing!)  Well can someone tell me why can’t men measure? Distances or time? The job was MEANT to be planned as such: electrician Monday, plasterer Monday and Tuesday, painter Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, joiner Thursday and Friday (and with this in mind I’ve booked for friends to come over for dinner on Friday night to ogle at our new ubba sophisticated, contemporary but potentially baby proof living room!) Is now on the evening of the 4th day and there are zero signs of it actually finishing anytime soon.

Well I should of known better.  So far we’ve had the electrician Monday, plasterer Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday and and due to “unforeseen circumstances” (aka an apprentice plasterer distracted by his mobile phone while hacking off plaster near a water pipe), an unscheduled visit from the plumber Wednesday and Thursday.  Then to top it all off, because of all this the plaster is still too wet for the painter so they now won’t be back again until Monday. 

In the meantime all my living room furniture is crammed into the dining room so tomorrow nights uber-sohisticated come-and-look-at-my-grownup-living-room dinner party is looking more like a trip to the local pub for dinner followed by a night cap sat on step ladders in our damp plaster box of a living room with no lights.  I know contemporary can be in the eye of the beholder but even by installation art standards this is a bit much! 

Alas, it’s probably for the best we’ve got an extra weekend.  I mean, firstly we can’t seem to get blinds any where!  Seriously we’re not looking for anything out of the ordinary.  140cm wide wooden, venetian blinds in light and dark grey. I’m not sure if I’ve missed some new trend or something but no one has any in stock.  B&Q, Dunelm, Argos, The Range - nothing!  We even started going to “clutching at straws” shops, you know on the off chance - TK max, Wilko’s , B and M, Starbucks (seriously the wife’s got me cutting out caffeine I needed a pick me up) and still no joy.

So we now have the weekend to explore further afield (although, let's be honest, we'll probably end up getting the ones from argos that were just a little bit too expensive).  We also have yet to decide on a paint colour - who knew there where soo many shades of grey?  and yes, there are more than 50 and my wife and I have contemplated each and everyone of them over the last month, we’re experts on all things grey, yet still we have no paint.  So this weekend will be spent enetertaining friends in the local pub and shopping for blinds and paint, all whist complaining to each other that the builders should be making up for lost time at our convenience.  

Wish us luck!

Comments

Popular Posts